The Thomas Merton Center collaborates and networks with many organizations to promote the peace and justice goals, rights, and campaigns of all people, with special support for those groups that are subjected to unjust practices and institutionalized systems of oppression.
The following represents a list of current and past campaigns of the Thomas Merton Center.
Divest from Fossil Fuels
We are asking the City of Pittsburgh to:
1. Immediately freeze any new investments in fossil fuels.
2. Divest from direct ownership and any commingled funds that include fossil fuel public equities and corporate bonds within 5 years.
Our Water Campaign
– Support the victims’ services within the military and in our community.
– Seek to warn potential recruits, female and male, that enlisting in any branch of the US military puts them at high risk of being sexually assaulted.
– Encourage ROTC programs to engage in serious sexual harassment and assault training.
– Engage in direct action—peaceful demonstrations—when appropriate to draw attention to our issues and apply pressure on the powers that be.
– Engage the regional and campus media to continue covering the issue and editorially endorsing effective legislative and other actions to address sexual assault.
-Reach out to and cooperate with local and national groups concerned with this issue.
Visit this campaign's website for more information.
Don't Criminalize Transit Riders
Pittsburghers for Public Transit is a grassroots organization of riders, drivers, and advocates working to defend and expand public transit. We believe that transit is a human right: everyone should have access to safe, affordable, and environmentally-sustainable transit operated by union drivers paid living wages.